Monday, September 19, 2011

Sans Gluten Sis Gets Hitched

As you know Dina and I took a bit of a hiatus this summer as we were preparing for Dina's wedding this past weekend.  The planning of a wedding is serious stuff (for the bride and matron of honor!) and one of the most important events leading up to a wedding is the bridal shower.  Dina had a perfect Saturday in July at the beach for her shower and all of her closest friends and family were there. In my opinion the menu was perfect for a perfect summer day. Some of the hors d'oeuvres included honeydew and cantaloupe with prosciutto and fresh basil, crab cakes and bacon wrapped scallops.

For the appetizer we had fresh tomato and mozzarella salad, ham and gruyere quiche for the main and key lime pie (Dina's fave) for dessert served with fresh fruit. Being the fabulous sister that she is, Dina requested that a sans gluten version of the quiche and key lime pie be prepared for me. The chef did not disappoint! I feel like I should preface every picture with "The picture doesn't do it justice..." but see for yourself below.

Ham and gruyere quiche

Key lime pie (fresh fruit not pictured)
On Dina's big day this past weekend she was absolutely stunning (and her new hubby Chris looked quite dapper too)!!!  It was such a flawless day and we had fantastic early fall weather at the beach. For those of you who are beach bums you know exactly what I mean.  As much as I loved being the center of attention at my wedding it was kind of nice to be out of the spotlight as the matron of honor and watch my big sis shine. I was also very happy to be able to sample ALL of the delicious hors d'oeuvres! 

Just like at my wedding I had my own gluten free attendant which is such a luxury. Many of the hors d'oeuvres were naturally sans gluten such as cucumber slices with lobster salad, potatoes with caviar, bacon wrapped scallops, melon with prosciutto and fresh basil and shrimp cocktail. The piece de resistance was the gluten free mac n' cheese served in shot glasses. This dish was specially prepared from scratch and executed perfectly!  It is really hard to master gluten free recipes from scratch as most of you know and I think it says a lot about a chef's skills when they create a "perfect 10" dish the first time. I ate about 4 of the mac n' cheese but easily could have eaten A LOT more!
Sans gluten mac n' cheese (best thing I have ever had in a shot glass)
For dessert my sister requested that I have my own sans gluten smoosh cake. I loved walking back to our table and seeing my very own cake at my table setting-how indulgent! 

Marney White from Marneycakes Inc. (http://www.marneycakes.com/) created my sister's wedding cake and my smoosh cake. We are huge fans of Marney as she also created my wedding cake over one year ago (see previous posts).

Sans gluten smoosh cake

Sans gluten smoosh cake before being devoured
As you can clearly see all of the planning resulted in an extra special day filled with dear friends and amazing food. In my book I think those are the two most important things that anyone can ask for.

I am so happy for Dina and Chris and wish them nothing but happiness!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! xxoo




No comments:

Post a Comment